|Post-doctoral Studies||Stellenbosch university||2012|
|PhD Chemistry||Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University||2010|
|MSc Chemistry||Egerton University||2006|
Areas of Expertise
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Biosorption studies of lead and copper using rogers mushroom biomass ‘Lepiota Hystrix. Zacharia Kariuki , Jackson Kiptoo Douglas Onyancha 2017. S. Afr. J. Chem. Eng. (2017), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sajce.2017.02.001
Synthesis, Characterisation and X-Ray Structure of Ferrocenyl N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes of Rhodium(I). Onyancha D, McCleland C, Gerber T (2016) Chem Sci J 7: 117. doi: 10.4172/2150-3494.10001 17 1-(4-Ferrocenylphenyl)-3-methylimidazolium iodide monohydrate. Douglas Onyancha, Cedric McCleland, Thomas I.A. Gerber, Eric Hosten and Peter Mayer, Acta Crystallographica Section E. 2010, E66, m49.
- Synthesis and characterization of palladium(II) and platinum(II) complexes with ferrocenylimidazole. Vincent O. Nyamori, Douglas Onyancha, Cedric W. McCleland, Christopher Imrie and Thomas I.A. Gerber, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2009, 694, 1407-1418.
- Solvent-free reactions of N,N′-thiocarbonyldiimidazole with ferrocenylcarbinols. Douglas Onyancha, Vincent Nyamori, Cedric W. McCleland, Christopher Imrie and Thomas I.A. Gerber. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2009, 694, 207-212.
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Synthesis, Characterization and X-ray structure of Ferrocenyl-N-heterocyclic carbene complexes of Rhodium (I). The 8th international conference of the Kenya Chemical Society University of Nairobi, Nairobi Kenya May 2015.
- Synthesis of functionalized carbazole dendrimers and their application in catalysis. CATSA 2011,, November 2011 , Misty Hills, Gauteng, South Africa
- Carbazole based metallodendrimers, synthesis and application. South African Chemical Institute (SACI),40th National Convention, Wits University. January 2011.
- Novel Ferrocenylimidazolium Salts and Ferrocenyl N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes: Synthesis and Characterization. 11th Frank Warren conference 2010, January 2010, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
- Reactions of 4-Ferrocenylbenzyl-1H-imidazole carboxylate with K2PtCl4, K2PdCl4 and Alcohol, South African Chemical Institute (SACI), 39th National Convention, Stellenbosch, South Africa. December 2008.
- Solvent-Free Reactions of Ferrocenylcarbinols. Synthetic Route to Carbonodithioates and Thiocarbonylimidazolides. The Eastern Cape (SACI) Annual Post Graduate Seminar, Rhodes University, South Africa.
- Interesting Solvent-Free Reactions of N,N’-Thiocarbonylimidazole with Ferrocenyl-carbinols. Useful Synthetic Route to Carbonodithioates and Thiocarbonylimidazolides. South African Chemical Institute (SACI) Conference on Inorganic Chemistry, (INORG 2007), Club Mykonos, West coast, South Africa. July 2007.
- Recovery of Chromium from Leather Tannery wastes by use of Freshwater algae
(Spirogyra condensata) as Biosorbent. The 5th Kenya Chemical Society conference, August 2005, Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya.
Determinants of technology adoption in leather manufacturing In Kenya
b) Research funding: (Indicate the Source, Amount & Year)
9000 USD. COMESA LEATHER AND LEATHER PRODUCT INSTITUTE, 2017
Postgraduate Thesis Supervision and Examination
Mr. Zackary Kariuki, MSc. Chemistry, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Heavy metal recovery using mushroom biosorbents. completed
Solomon Namaswa, MSc Geothermal, DeKUT. Assesment of terrestrial radioactivity distribution in olkaria geothermal field and its environmental implications. Completed.
Edwin Wafula, MSc Geothermal energy, DeKUT. Investigation of silica scaling parameters, A case for Olkaria. on-going
Stephen Mutinda, MSc industrial engineering management. DeKUT. Determinants of technology adoption in leather manufacturing firms-on.going
Other University and National Responsibilities
- Dean School of Science
- Chair person –Department of chemistry 2012-2016
Chair person of the Kenya chemical society Mt. Kenya chapter
Synthesis or organometallic compounds relevant for catalysis
Affiliation/Membership to Professional Bodies
Member of the Kenya Chemical Society